If you’re a PC gamer but want to use Xbox controllers to play, you have the option of connecting your controller to your PC. Since Windows 10 naturally supports the Xbox One controller, setup is super easy. However, depending on the type of Xbox One controller you have and the method you want to connect, connecting your controller to your PC may vary a little bit. Today’s article will provide instructions for connecting via USB, Bluetooth, as well as Microsoft’s wireless adapter.
How to Connect Xbox Controller to a PC
How to Connect Your Xbox One controller to a PC via USB
Using a USB cable is by far the simplest way to connect any type of Xbox One controller to a PC; if you don’t mind a wired connection, that is. Some gamers hate it. Connecting this way works for Xbox One, Xbox One S, as well as Xbox One Elite controllers.
All Xbox One controllers have a built-in Micro USB connector attached to them. This lets you connect them directly to a PC using a Micro USB-to-USB Type-A cable. And, since Windows automatically recognizes connected Xbox One controllers, you just plug it in, and you’re good to go.
- Step One: Connect your USB cable to your PC.
- Step Two: Connect the other end of the cable to your controller.
- Step Three: Hold the Xbox logo on your controller to fire it up. If the logo flashes and then turns off, there’s a chance your battery may be low, or the cable you’re using may only be designed for charging. Try using another Micro USB cable.
- Step Four: Once connected, you’re all set. Windows 10 should automatically recognize the Xbox One controller.
How to Connect Your Xbox One Controller to a PC via Bluetooth
While the first Xbox One controller did not support such a connection, newer versions do. Click here to see instructions on how to identify a Bluetooth-capable controller. To connect via Bluetooth, you’ll need to have your PC operating the ‘Windows 10 Anniversary Update’ or later. If you have that taken care already, follow these steps:
- Step One: Hold the Xbox logo on the controller to turn it on.
- Step Two: Turn Bluetooth on your computer, either from the Action Center or by switching it on from the settings menu (step three).
- Step Three: You can get there by going to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth, or by typing “Bluetooth” into the search bar. With the Bluetooth on, prepare for pairing.
- Step Four: Hold the Connect button on your controller for a few seconds. You can find this button on the front of the controller near the USB port.
- Step Five: Your computer may automatically recognize the Xbox Wireless controller and ask you to pair it with the device. If this happens, choose “Pair” from the prompt. If not, continue reading.
- Step Six: Back in the “Bluetooth & other devices” menu, click the + button to “Add Bluetooth or other device.”
- Step Seven: In the new “Add a device” window, select “Bluetooth.” This will start a search for available devices.
- Step Eight: Choose your Xbox control from the list of open devices.
How to Connect Your Xbox One Controller Using the Xbox Wireless Adapter
The process of connecting via a wireless adapter is largely simplified since Windows 10 is naturally ready to work with the Xbox Wireless Adapter. Drivers will automatically install whenever the controller is connected. To connect via a wireless adapter, follow these steps:
- Step One: Connect the Xbox Wireless Adapter to your computer and allow the drivers to install. (For maximum connectivity, try to make sure where the adapter is connected to your PC provides a clear line of sight to the controller.)
- Step Two: Hold on to the Xbox logo to power up your Xbox One controller.
- Step Three: Locate and click the button on the Wireless Adapter (It should be easy to find).
- Step Four: Click the connect button on your Xbox One controller. It can be located on the front of the controller near the micro USB port.
- Step Five: Make sure the Xbox logo on your controller is blinking. Blinking indicates that it is connecting. When the logo and LED on the USB adapter both stop flashing, that means the connection is complete, and you can start enjoying your games.
Now that you know how to connect your Xbox One Controller to your PC, here are the best PC games to enjoy with your newly connected controller.